Thank you, Sunday Stealing!
1. What is the craziest, most outrageous thing you want to achieve?
I am at a loss for this. I don’t put time and effort into crazy, outrageous goals. Plus, I am too lazy to do the work required to climb Mt. Everest.
2. Have your parents influenced what goals you have?
My parents are long dead and gone, so not lately. They did encourage me to go with my natural traits and talents, however, which is how I ended up in journalism. (Curiosity + skepticism + writing.)
3. What is a fashion trend you’re glad went away?
‘80s shoulder pads.
4. What word or saying from the past do you think should come back?
“Bee’s knees.” I use it, but sometimes people look at me like I’m nuts when I do. “Barf” is another one. In fact, it would be totally tubular if “barf out, gag me with a spoon” came back.
5. What do you bring with you everywhere you go?
6. Is there such a thing as a soul?
Nope! We are animals. “Intelligent” animals, but animals nonetheless. To assume homo sapiens is somehow special denies that we are basically one bit of one gene on one chromosome away from being chimpanzees.
7. Is there life after death?
Not in a “soul” sense, but we are all made of matter, and we do get recycled. That is, unless you are cremated and your ashes are kept on someone’s shelf. Then whatever matter didn’t escape through the crematorium exhaust is kind of stuck on the shelf. NOTE TO MY FRIENDS: Do not do that to me. Being that sky burials are illegal in the United States, please scatter me in a forest so I can land on the ground and become part of a tree where birds like to hang out.
8. Do you think there will ever be a third world war?
I hope not. It will be very short if there is and it involves either North Korea or Pakistan. Ka-BOOM!
9. What smell brings back great memories?
Balsam Fir trees. ‘Tis the season!
10. How would you like to be remembered?
As someone who, although sassy and a bit of a smart-ass, had her heart in the right place. Come to think of it, I would love it if “kiss my grits” came back into vogue, as well.
11. What kind of music are you into?
Mostly industrial: Filter, NIN, Stabbing Westward, Tool. But really anything except gospel, Christian music outside of Christmas music, and gangsta rap. Not too fond of country, either, but I do like a few country songs.
12. What is the biggest surprise of your life?
Given the number of times I’ve cheated death, the fact that I’m still here.
13. If you could eat only one thing for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Salad. You can do a lot with that. No, this answer isn’t cheating. You didn’t say one “ingredient.” You said one “thing.”
14. Where is the most awe inspiring place you have been?
Various peaks in Shenandoah National Park.
15. Describe your life in six words.
Filled with all kinds of surprises.